Vegetable oil spray
10 ounces fresh broccoli spears or 10-ounce package no-salt-added frozen
2 cups diced cooked chicken
-- Sauce Ingredients --
1 teaspoon light margarine
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2-1/2 to 3 cups)
1-1/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
5-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sliced green onions (2 medium)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Dash of Nutmeg
-- Topping Ingredients--
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs (1/2 slice bread)
2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
2. Steam broccoli spears until tender-crisp, then plunge into ice water
to stop cooking. Drain and blot dry on paper towels. Arrange in baking
3. Evenly place chicken over broccoli. Set aside.
4. For sauce, heat margarine in a medium non-stick skillet over medium
heat. Swirl to coat bottom. Cook mushrooms, covered, for 7 to 9 minutes,
or until they've released their juices. Increase heat to high and cook,
uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes to allow liquid to evaporate. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Pour broth and milk into a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour. Bring to
boil over medium-high heat; cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring
7. Stir in green onions, Parmesan, nutmeg, and mushrooms. Pour over chicken
in baking pan.
8. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over casserole.
9. Bake for 25 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 165; Fat: 5 grams; Carbohydrates: 12 grams;
Protein: 18 grams; Sodium: 150 mg; Cholesterol: 38 mg;
Fiber: 2 grams
Exchanges: 1/2 Bread/Starch; 1/2 Nonfat Milk; 2 Low-Fat Meat
Source: "The New American Heart Association Cookbook"
This recipe appears courtesy of Random House and is excerpted from "The
New American Heart Association Cookbook." You can find out about this
cookbook at: http://diabeticnewsletter.com/23april2001