6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all
visible fat removed
6 lemon slices, cut in half (optional)
Fresh sage leaves (optional)
-- Marinade Ingredients --
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 medium lemons)
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 tsp dried, crushed
2-3 medium cloves garlic, minced, or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon whole black-peppercorns, cracked
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In an airtight plastic bag, combine marinade ingredients.
2. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Put chicken smooth side up between to sheets of plastic wrap. Using
a tortilla press or the smooth side of a meat mallet, lightly flatten
chicken to 1/8-inch thickness. Add to marinade and turn to coat evenly.
Seal and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, turning bag
occasionally. Discard marinade.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high.
5. Grill chicken for 6 to 7 minutes on each side, or until done.
6. To serve, garnish with lemon and sage.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 122; Fat: 3 grams; Carbohydrates: 0 grams;
Protein: 23 grams; Sodium: 241 mg; Cholesterol: 63 mg;
Fiber: 0 grams
Exchanges: 3 Low-Fat Meat
Source: "The New American Heart
This recipe appears courtesy of Random House and is excerpted from "The
New American Heart Association Cookbook." You can find out about this
cookbook at: http://diabeticnewsletter.com/23april2001